Have A Question? Find the Answers

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Humble.

That patient I worked on last night that I felt so wonderful about doing so much for? When I left, they were comfortable, no more signs of pain, family was so happy we got this worked out.

They died a hour after I left.

I ended up with four extra hours of paperwork, only 3 iffy hours of sleep and woke up completely miserable, pissed off and hating the world. I got that message and the air went out the balloon.

Lesson #2 of nursing: Humility.

2 comments:

  1. They passed pain free with the loved ones at their side if I understand things right. I call that a win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We win every time we accept what is, not what we want to be. Enjoyed your post! Looking for nurses to share their experiences as well on my post. Check it out. Nurse to nurse. Sally
    http://sallyshealthyliving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete